This is a team puzzle that introduces a few constraints to emphasise the need to cooperate, to collaborate and most importantly to listen. It can be used to assess a team's dynamic, to identify current or potential leaders and to simply build culture within a team.
- Board or Flipchart and pens
- Post it notes
- TV or Projector or handout of the solution
- Print and cut out the game cards
- This game is highly valuable and educational, but to achieve this it creates an environment of stress, frustration and conflict. Be sure that is it safe for your team to experience these emotions and take the to follow this game with a team building exercise.
HOW TO PLAY
Get everyone into circle
Hand out all of the game cards as evenly as possible
You must hold on to your own cards. No sharing them or putting them down.
You may not use pens, paper or electronic devices to help you
Solve the puzzle as quickly as possible.
Set the scene: “Expressed in the 30 cards that I’ve given you, is a puzzle. The objective of this game is to solve that puzzle.”
Read out the rules
Begin the game and the timer
15 mins in
- By this point the team should have worked out that there are 5 of each element (farmer, house, location, fruit, animal and vehicle).
- They should also have worked out that having 5 people play the roles of each farmer, and standing in the their relative locations it useful
- Give clues if necessary
30 mins in
- If the team has yet to solve the puzzle remove both rules from the game
- They are now able to use the board, pens etc to help
45 mins in
- Warn the team that there is only 5 mins remaining.
- stop the game, reveal the solution and ask everyone to have a seat.
Celebrate either way
How the game make you feel? Why?
What could you have done to make the game easier?
What antipatterns did you notice?
Did any of you disengage? Why?
Was anyone leading? How did it go?
Visualization is powerful